Thursday 15 January 2015

Reckless Deck ArtOrder Challenge


"Guardian" - watercolour and digital

This painting was done over the holidays for the Reckless Deck ArtOrder Challenge.  For this contest, you had to create a character using a random set of Reckless Deck cards.  Each card has an attribute on it, so when you randomly pick a few, you can get any crazy combination of words to inspire you and generate ideas for characters. This is the set of cards I got (by clicking a link on the contest page):


I started to come up with ideas of a Guardian angel character.


Below were my 2 fave thumbnails which I then colored.  I hasd some crit at this point and then had to choose which one to do. I started to develop the one on the right but ended up changing my mind.

Once I committed to the one on the left, I took some reference photos and did a final drawing on watercolor paper and got painting.

Finished watercolor:

The watercolor painting was a good start. I scanned it in and did some changes digitally to the color, lighting, and whip.


I received more crit at this point and made some final tweaks and here's the finished painting:


No comments:

Post a Comment